The Botanical Garden of Brussels stands on Rue Royale in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, near the Northern Quarter financial district in Brussels. Its main building is a cultural complex and music venue known as Le Botanique.
It was founded in 1826 and partly designed by architect Tilman-François Suys. The main orangery (Le Botanique) is composed of a central rotunda with a dome, and two side aisles with windows at the ends. After decades of financial uncertainty, the Belgian state bought the garden in 1870 and commissioned various fountains, electrical lighting, and an extensive program of sculpture that would both beautify the park and develop the country's public art and artists. Fifty-two sculptures were executed between 1894 and 1898, a project overseen by two well-known sculptors, Constantin Meunier and Charles van der Stappen.
Photo by Ben2